The show turned into such a wonderful evening. There were many guest, food and drink plus live performances and artwork. Over the course of the evening, Chris introduced and thanked all the artists and helping hands for putting the show together. Me and the group performed a silent unwravelling of our piece and transformed a flat chaotic mess into a story telling landscape. I will definitely be returning to The World of Boats during the summer to enjoy the sun setting across the bay.
Exploring the sheds backstage led to me finding wonderful stacks of many things. Bits of rope, pully things, screws, old ship parts and headlights filled shelves and boxes. I loved the textures and unintentional complimentary arrangements, when photographed were quite appealing…potential visual references.
Finally it was time to visit our venue. We headed over to the bay to a place called ‘The World of Boats’. Run by a father and son, The World of Boats is a cafe, boat restoration workshop and museum during the day as well as a restaurant at night. Our hosts were very hospitable, they welcomed our ideas and loved the sound of our work. It’s all very exciting.
Chris gave me the honer of being the director of the main room. Being a reasonably sized room I had to consider a few things. These things were, the layout of the artwork, lighting, and dynamics. I also had to bare in mind that the room was also the businesses main way of making money, the restaurant still had to be run! Organising of all of theses elements went very well. I spoke to the owner about table layout and we were able to come to an agreement. I discussed all lighting and requirements for the art being featured in the room as well as safety procedures like walk ways and trip hazards.
I had sit down discussions with all of the artists about their work and worked out where and how they were presenting. For the group I was working in, we were quick to decide where our work was going. We chose the restaurant room, the main event, as the clean white paper fitted in with the decorum. I came up with the idea to place our work on a stack of wooden palettes. I also discussed the possibility of borrowing the palettes from the restoration workshop but instead had to loan them from The Doctor Who Experience next door. This was no trouble.
With all the elements ready to go, it’s finally construction time! To being the assemblage, Becky attached the buildings (all attachments are made with double sided sticky tape). She managed to figure out how to get all the buildings down but then also stable when stood up. It worked!!
Kubus trees were successful, they pop up and the mechanism works. Each tree has a pulling tab that lays between the bases of the piece. This made sure the system was kept safe and secure. His made his drone using the technique of origami. It looked great!
Elliot’s mountains were the trickiest, he struggled to make them sit upright and collapse properly. But he pulled it all together and eventually it worked. Additional pieces were added onto the sides of the mountains, they made them look more realistic but also abstract. They were beautiful!!
As well as the boat I also figured out the waves. These I made by folding paper into a concertina then cutting the shape of a generic ‘wave’ as well as thin slits for structural purposes.
There are a few elements to the final piece and in order to get them all finished we need to split the load…
Kubus was in charge of the drone and the pop up trees that are to surround Elliot’s mountains. On the other end of the page, Becky worked on the buildings. All elements of the piece have an individual fold which we have chosen to represent different the repocusions of the damage we have done. E.g. Flooding, trees being cut down, cities explaining and our ecosystems suffering.
We finished the boat as a group. We all produced a rough idea of what we individually what the finally boat to look like. From our designs Elliot and Kubus morphed different elements of all four boats to create one. Here I have drawn the final boat on a larger scale in order to work our the measurements of the final piece. Working on the vessel is my job. I found this task quite easy, I designed a pulling mechanism to bring the parts of the boat together. Very pleased with how it went…
These sketches are alternatives to our modern day version of the poem.